commuting and non-commuting symbols

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg31361] commuting and non-commuting symbols
  • From: Ian Swanson <swanson at>
  • Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2001 04:35:46 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

My research group is trying to use Mathematica to simplify and verify some
complicated expressions that combine various parameters living in
different spaces.  Basically, we need to be able to label certain symbols
as commuting and certain others as non-commuting (ie. Grassman numbers).
We then need to perform standard matrx multiplication with this mixture of
commuting and non-commuting variables -- and have Mathematica simplify the
resulting expressions as much as possible.  Can anyone help??

Thank you,

| Ian J Swanson              |
| Theoretical Physics        |
| 253 Lauritsen              |