To be or not to be an image file

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg31374] To be or not to be an image file
  • From: "Simon Krogh" <finn2 at>
  • Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2001 03:31:06 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

I want to use Mathematica to do some image processing. I got stuck while
making a function that returns true if a file is a valid image file (bmp,
jpg, gif etc.) and false otherwise. My first thought was to test the return
of the Import["file.bmp"] command but it just won't work. Any ideas?

Simon Long Krogh eller