comma delimited files for input?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg30774] comma delimited files for input?
  • From: "1.156" <rob at piovere.com>
  • Date: Sun, 9 Sep 2001 20:43:09 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

I'm using version 4.  In order to get plain ascii decimal numbers into my program I have to use space delimited data files I'm told in the HELP files. It works fine but I have to make two versions of all the data files because others need comma delimited
files of the same data.

It sure would be convenient to be able to use comma delimited files (that import nicely into Excel) for Mathematica work.  Can anyone tell me whether there is some guru magic that will allow importing csv files or does it boil down to upgrading to version 5?

Thanks for any advice on the matter.

Rob