Re: Geometry Utility, drawing technique

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg30849] Re: Geometry Utility, drawing technique
  • From: "Allan Hayes" <hay at haystack.demon.co.uk>
  • Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2001 03:51:52 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Garry,
Thank you for reminding me of your package.
I  have just re-read your article with pleasure, but unfortunately I could
not find the package in MathSource.
I would still preferr to start children off with compass and straight edge
but your package would be a useful follow-up, and an introduction to
hyperbolic geometry.

Following some of your comments in the article, I went back to Euclid's Elements.
It is intriguing that for Proposition 3, a theorem: "If two triangles have
two sides of one equal to two side of the other, each to each, and have also
the angles contained by those sides equal, then [they are congruent]", we
are allowed to move one triangle and superpose it on the other, yet for the
for Proposition 2 , a construction: "From a point to draw a straight line
equal to a given straight line", lines are static objects. One might think
of moving the given line.

--
Allan
---------------------
hay at haystack.demon.co.uk
Voice: +44 (0)116 271 4198
Fax: +44 (0)870 164 0565

"Garry Helzer" <gah at math.umd.edu> wrote in message
news:9o97j1$cg9$1 at smc.vnet.net...

> In 1991 or 1992 (Mathematica version 1.?) I wrote a package to do this
> sort of thing and put it into MathSource. I suppose that it is still
> there.
>
> The package is described in The Mathematica Journal, Volume 2, Issue 3 pp.
> 61--69.  The name of the package is CompassAndStraightEdge.m
>
> In article <9ncfo9$pso$1 at smc.vnet.net>, "Allan Hayes"
> <hay at haystack.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>
> > Matthias,
> > admit that there is something that Mathematica is unsuitable for, but
> > introducing children to elementary straight edge and compass geometry is
> > think one such thing
> . . .
> > Allan
> >
>  > Dear Colleagues,
> > >
> > > my son is doing elementary geometry (compasses and straightedge/ruler)
at