Question regarding Compile

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg33682] Question regarding Compile
  • From: Madhusudan Singh <ar at sc.hc.de>
  • Date: Sat, 6 Apr 2002 00:49:01 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

I apologise if this question (or something like this) has been asked
earlier.

I have a slew of functions like :

f1[p1_,p2_,p3_]:= <some fn.>
f2, f3 similarly defined.

f5[x_,y_,z_]:=F(f1[..],f2[..],f3[..],f4[..]);

Now, this particular computation proceeds very slowly and I wish to speed
it up by compiling my functions. However, the very syntax of Compile
indicates that I cannot invoke a Compile'd function and pass arguments to
it.

For instance,

f1=Compile[{p1,p2,p3}, <some expression>] cannot be used in f5 above the
way I have been doing. Does this mean that I can only Compile f5 by itself
(with all the functions that it depends upon replaced by actual expression)
? If so, the resulting expression for f5 would be quite, quite complicated.

A little confused about this. And, yes, I haven't ever Compile'd a
Mathematica function.

Thanks.