Re: Memory problems

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg33783] Re: Memory problems
  • From: adam.smith at (Adam Smith)
  • Date: Tue, 16 Apr 2002 03:50:35 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

The difficulty is that you are asking for a list of 100 Million
entries to be stored into memory.  The following shows the memory
needed for evaluations up to 10^7

  ByteCount[Table[ Random[Integer],{10^n}]],{n,0,7}]

For 10^7 we need approximately 40 MB.  10^8 would need about 400 MB.
Considering that the operating system uses some fraction of memory,
you simply do not have 400 MB free.

I am wondering what you are trying to do.  Perhaps you can accomplish
what you want in more of a step by step method.  Without details I
simply can't make any useful suggestions.

Adam smith