Drawing a Glass Cylinder?

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg33859] Drawing a Glass Cylinder?
  • From: aes <siegman at>
  • Date: Sat, 20 Apr 2002 02:49:49 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

I want to make a nice-looking graphic that's essentially a 3D view of a darker
colored glass rod that's located inside (and visible through) a thick-walled
transparent glass tube, with the ends of the inner rod protruding somewhat from
the ends of the tube.  (In fact, these are the core and cladding of an optical

I can gin up something that's minimally acceptable using ParametricPlot to draw
cylinders and end walls, but it's very wire-framey and the outer cylinder is not
transparent; but I want something that's graphically better..

Any suggestions?  Points on where should I look to learn how to draw transparent
objects, e.g. glass cylinders with stuff inside them?

Thanks,  AES