Re: Re: Row vs. Column Vectors (or Matrices)

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg33948] Re: [mg33936] Re: Row vs. Column Vectors (or Matrices)
  • From: "Eric L. Strobel" <fyzycyst at comcast.net>
  • Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2002 01:22:01 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

I think the point was that a Dot product was desired.

And a point of advice...  Just remember, due to the way Mathematica deals
with matrices (and particularly column vectors), there are often extra sets
of braces surrounding results.  Generally not a problem, until you try to
get at a particular matrix element -- depending upon how one does it, you
may have to 'peel the onion' several layers down.

(Asthetically, I find these artifacts a tiny bit annoying.  I don't suppose
there's an automatic way of shedding them, is there?)

At the risk of making this reply too broad, is there any recent progress on
the front of *symbolic* matrix algebra/calculus??  I'm aware of NCAlgebra,
and while it is a workable stopgap I guess, there ought to be something
better, given that this has been a known inadequacy of Mathematica for many
years now.

- Eric.

on 4/23/02 7:14 AM, Adam Smith at adam.smith at hillsdale.edu wrote:

> See if the following is what you want

*** Demonstration of Outer Product removed ***

--

Eric Strobel (fyzycyst at NOSPAM^mailaps.org)

There is never a single right solution. There are always multiple
wrong ones, though.