Re: recognizing integer numbers

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg33984] Re: [mg33924] recognizing integer numbers
  • From: Andrzej Kozlowski <andrzej at>
  • Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2002 03:00:05 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

Mathematica cannot expand expressions like (a+b)^m or conversely, factor
expand expressions into this form, even if you "tell it" that m is an
integer. You can only do this sort of thing for a fixed non-negative
integer m, like, say. m=20.

Simplify[Sum[Binomial[2*m + 1, k]*(a^k*b^(2*m + 1 - k) + b^k*a^(2*m +

(a + b)^41

Andrzej Kozlowski
Toyama International University