Setting up dummy variables

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg35813] Setting up dummy variables
  • From: Christopher Maierle <chris at chaos.Physik.uni-dortmund.de>
  • Date: Fri, 2 Aug 2002 02:41:41 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hi all,

How do I set up a function that behaves like the Mathematica function Sum vis-a-vis
its treatment of dummy variables?  For example I can define i=6 and then
enter

Sum[f[i],{i,1,n}]

and mathematica will not make the substitution i->6 even though the output
generally still involves the dummy variable i.  I figure this has something
to do with Modules, Blocks, and Holds but I'm not sure how to put it all
together.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

-chris