Re: One to the power Infinity

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg35952] Re: One to the power Infinity
  • From: "John Jowett" <John.Jowett at cern.ch>
  • Date: Fri, 9 Aug 2002 05:18:00 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

<Matthias.Bode at oppenheim.de> wrote in message
news:aitfon$cfu$1 at smc.vnet.net...
> Dear Colleagues,
>
> when fooling around with MATHEMATICA I found:
>
> 0^\[Infinity] => 0, as expected;
> 0.9^\[Infinity] => 0, as expected;
> 2^\[Infinity] => Infinity, as expected;
> 1^\[Infinity] => Indeterminate, unexpected. Naively expected: 1.
>
> For which reason(s) is 1^\[Infinity] defined as Indeterminate?

Matthias,
    In only slightly sloppy language, you might consider this as the limit
as x -> 0 from above of either

(1+x)^\[Infinity]     or     (1-x)^\[Infinity]

For any small positive x, these expressions are Infinity or 0 respectively
so it is pretty clear that the limit has to be indeterminate.

John Jowett
http://cern.ch/jowett/