Re: One to the power Infinity

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg35947] Re: One to the power Infinity
  • From: dseaman at seaman.cc.purdue.edu (Dave Seaman)
  • Date: Fri, 9 Aug 2002 05:17:55 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

In article <aitfon$cfu$1 at smc.vnet.net>,  <Matthias.Bode at oppenheim.de> wrote:

>when fooling around with MATHEMATICA I found:

>0^\[Infinity] => 0, as expected;
>0.9^\[Infinity] => 0, as expected;
>2^\[Infinity] => Infinity, as expected;
>1^\[Infinity] => Indeterminate, unexpected. Naively expected: 1.

>For which reason(s) is 1^\[Infinity] defined as Indeterminate?

Looks like a bug to me.  I would expect 1.^\[Infinity] to be
indeterminate, where "1." is written with a decimal point to indicate
that it is an approximate real number.  However, Mathematica fails to
distinguish here between the exact value "1" and the approximate value
"1."

Dave Seaman			dseaman at purdue.edu
Mumia Abu-Jamal's attorneys present evidence of innocence.
<http://www.freemumia.com/>