Copying/Exporting graphics to other applications

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg38125] Copying/Exporting graphics to other applications
  • From: Gary McClelland <gary.mcclelland at colorado.edu>
  • Date: Tue, 3 Dec 2002 04:33:49 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

[I fear this is a FAQ but I've dutifully searched the current 4.2 docs and
this formus archive and could find only recommendations for Mathematica 3.0]

I'm trying to copy/export graphics from Mathematica to other apps such as MS Word or
PowerPoint.  Graphs print great directly from Mathematica (correctly rotates the
y-axis text even though it doesn't appear correctly on the screen).  But
attempts to copy/paste into other applications (using PICT, PICT with
embedded postscript, and all other options) or Export["file.GIF",%] etc. and
then importing that file to other apps usually produces something ugly and
the y-axis text never prints rotated from these other apps.

I'm addicted to producing publication-quality graphics with Mathematica, but I need
to be able to include them in those documents produced by other apps.  I
know the workaround is simply to use Mathematica as my word processor for technical
documents, but I can't convert all my colleagues with whom I exchange
working drafts.

Any suggestions appreciated, including RTFM if you will give me a hint where
to look.

Thanks,
  gary