Re: copying cells in Mathematica 4.2

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg38101] Re: copying cells in Mathematica 4.2
  • From: Tom Burton <tburton at brahea.com>
  • Date: Tue, 3 Dec 2002 04:31:48 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hello,

You wrote

"...What happens is that if you select a several cells or a cell group and
past into another notebook you get a messy expression contained in a
single cell from which it does not appear possible to easily recover
the original cells..."

What a coincidence! Or maybe not :-(

I logged a telephone support call to WRI on this very matter the day after I
updated to OS10.2.2. Is that OS upgrade involved? Hard to tell, because the
symptom appeared the day AFTER. Did I go a whole day without copying cells?
In my case, the symptom extended to copying even one entire cell, to the
same or a different notebook. It stopped me in my tracks.

At WRI's suggestion, I cleared the Front End cache. No help.

Then I uninstalled Mathematica 4.2 (on Mac, simply drag the application to
the trash), restarted, and then reinstalled Mathematica 4.2 and pasted my
init files back in. I was up to full speed in 5 minutes (40 minutes after
the first symptom.) The symptom is gone and has not returned.

As I told WRI, I don't understand, but I am happy that that AWFUL copy bug
is gone!

Tom Burton