Smoother shading in DensityPlot?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg32694] Smoother shading in DensityPlot?
  • From: "Gennady" <stupakov at SLAC.Stanford.EDU>
  • Date: Wed, 6 Feb 2002 03:42:04 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hello,

I am doing density plots and find that Mathematica uses rather limited
number of the shading levels in DensityPlot. For example, execute the
following
command
DensityPlot[.1 Sin[x] + 0.5, {x, 0, \[Pi]/2}, {y, 0, 1}, PlotPoints -> 50,
    Mesh -> False, ColorFunctionScaling -> False];
and you will see about 7 gray stripes instead of smooth transition. I guess,
Mathematica uses 64 gray levels in this kind of graphs.

My question: is it possing to increase the number of descreet gray levels
and to make the plot above to look smooth, as a photograph?

Thank you.
Gennady.