Moving notebooks from Windows to Mac

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg32720] Moving notebooks from Windows to Mac
  • From: ashuchat at mediaone.net (Alan Shuchat)
  • Date: Thu, 7 Feb 2002 05:10:06 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

I have a student who emails me Mathematica 4.0 notebooks created under
Windows. My Mac (G4/OS 9.2, G3/OS 8.6) doesn't recognize these as
Mathematica files, despite my setting File Exchange to map the .nb
extension to Mathematica. I can't double-click on them in the Finder and I
can't open them from within Mathematica. The only things that seem to work
are opening the notebook with BBEdit or Word and pasting the contents into
an open Mathematica window.

TechTool says the creator and filetype for these notebooks are unknown. If
I change them manually to OMEG and TEXT, the values for Mathematica
notebooks, then double-clicking launches Mathematica and opens the files.
How can I get the Mac to do this automatically?

I found an earlier thread about this on comp.soft-sys.math.mathematica but
didn't find a definitive answer. Can anyone suggest a solution?

Thanks,

Alan Shuchat
ashuchat at wellesley.edu