Re: SSH and Remote Math Kernels

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg32701] Re: [mg32683] SSH and Remote Math Kernels
  • From: jmt <jmt at agat.net>
  • Date: Thu, 7 Feb 2002 05:09:26 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Two things to do :
1- run an ssh-agent that keeps your passphrase in memory, (works either in
ssh1.5 or ssh2, but the configurations are - as far as I remember -
different), in order to avoid the task of having to send connection
authentication information ;
2 - configure, either in your .Mathematica/4.0/FrontEnd/init.m file, or via
the Kernel/KernelConfiguration menu, the parameters to the remote kernel(s).
Here is an example from my init.m file :

EvaluatorNames->{
  "Glarps"->{AppendNameToCellLabel->True},
  "GlarpsSecond"->{AppendNameToCellLabel->True},
  "Klumpf"->{RemoteMachine->True, TranslateReturns->True, \
AppendNameToCellLabel->True, MLOpenArguments->"-LinkMode Listen -LinkProtocol
\
TCP -LinkOptions MLDontInteract", LoginScript->"ssh klumpf \"math\" -mathlink
\
-LinkMode Connect -LinkProtocol TCP -LinkName \"`linkname`\""},
  }

In this example, the machine klumpf is on a local network, and declared in
the /etc/hosts file.