Re: simulating random variables

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg32856] Re: [mg32831] simulating random variables
  • From: Tomas Garza <tgarza01 at prodigy.net.mx>
  • Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2002 02:50:04 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

A look at the graph of the CDF of the binomial distribution with such a huge
n suggests that it is quite close to the normal distribution (and to the
Poisson, too, of course). You may of course use sampling from the Poisson
(or the normal) as a faster equivalent. Producing normal random numbers is
extremely fast, as you point out, and I would have no qualms about using
them as a good approximation in this case.  I suggest you use RandomArray to
produce your samples, since it is much faster than using Table:

In[1]:=
Timing[Table[Random[NormalDistribution[1000, Sqrt[990.]]],
    {10000}]; ]
Out[1]=
{0.38 Second, Null}

In[2]:=
Timing[RandomArray[NormalDistribution[1000, Sqrt[990.]],
    10000]; ]
Out[2]=
{0.06 Second, Null}

A sample of size 10,000 is obtained about 6 times faster! BTW, a few years
ago I proposed a method for sampling from discrete distributions which
appears to be quite efficient. You may take a look at the section "Tricks of
the Trade", in p. 440 (Poisson Distribution), The Mathematica Journal, Vol.
7, Issue 4, 2000.

Tomas Garza
Mexico City