Re: maximal entropy method

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg32864] Re: [mg32854] maximal entropy method
  • From: Sseziwa Mukasa <mukasa at>
  • Date: Sat, 16 Feb 2002 04:35:21 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

Borut L wrote:

> Hello,
> I am modeling a problem with it. Now, this method is nicely implemented in
> C's Numerical Recipes. Is something alike done in Mathematica somewhere and
> by somebody?
> Thank You for your help,
> Borut

I assume you are referring to the regularization method developed by Skilling
and Gull, not Berg's method.  There is an incomplete implementation of
Skilling's Cambridge method in Applied Mathematica:Getting Started, Getting It
Done by William T. Shaw and Jason Tigg (Addison-Wesley, 1994).  I say it's
incomplete because it does not do the line search to constrain the step size
in the search subspace.  Some of the code from the book is here:,
but as far as I can tell the Maximum Entropy code is not.