Re: Mathematica for Mac OS X vs. 9?

In article <a4l9rm$e13$1 at smc.vnet.net>,
 Ron Griffin <ron-griffin at tamu.edu> wrote:

> Any of you Mac Mathematica users have advice for me regarding a preference
> between front ends?  It's machine upgrade time for me (from 8600/300 to
> G4/933) so I need to get a license change from Wolfram.  Since I have
> to file for a change, should I also make the jump to X?  Some of my
> other apps will keep me working in the classic os mode, and I'm very
> happy working in os 9.1 anyway.  I currently use Mathematica 4.1.  I haven't
> fired up the new machine yet, and I have no idea if I'll like X.  But
> if it's better I'll like it.

The front ends are essentially identical, though I greatly prefer
Mathematica under OS X. The two main reasons are that it feels much
faster (though I haven't done any scientific tests) and I no longer have
to worry about how much RAM to give the front end and the kernel. I am
running it on a 667 MHz Ti PowerBook with 1GB of RAM and it is wonderful
to know that Mathematica will take whatever it needs.

Best regards,
--
Gary L. Gray                    Engineering Science & Mechanics
Associate Professor                       Penn State University