Re: Mathematica for Mac OS X vs. 9?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg32895] Re: Mathematica for Mac OS X vs. 9?
  • From: jean-yves hervé <jyh at cs.uri.edu>
  • Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2002 05:22:22 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

In article <a4l9rm$e13$1 at smc.vnet.net>,
 Ron Griffin <ron-griffin at tamu.edu> wrote:

> Any of you Mac Mathematica users have advice for me regarding a preference
> between front ends?  It's machine upgrade time for me (from 8600/300 to
> G4/933) so I need to get a license change from Wolfram.  Since I have
> to file for a change, should I also make the jump to X?  Some of my
> other apps will keep me working in the classic os mode, and I'm very
> happy working in os 9.1 anyway.  I currently use Mathematica 4.1.  I haven't
> fired up the new machine yet, and I have no idea if I'll like X.  But
> if it's better I'll like it.

What makes you think that you neeed to get a change of license just
because you change your computer?  I have never had any problem
installing Mathematica to a new Mac.  I know that the Linux version has
machine-specific licenses but I never heard of such a thing on the Mac
(although I assume this is going to change with that OSX thing).  As
long as you keep using Mac OS 9 rather than OSX, you shouldn't have to
upgrade Mathematica.

Regards,

jean-yves hervé.

 jean-yves herve'                    /\
 Department of Computer Science      \/   e-mail --> jyh at cs.uri.edu
             and Statistics          /\
 University of Rhode Island          \/     Tel. --> (401) 874-4400
 Kingston, RI 02881-0816             /\     Fax. --> (401) 874-4617
 USA                                 \/