Re: creating packages[2]

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg32916] Re: creating packages[2]
  • From: "Allan Hayes" <hay at>
  • Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2002 02:29:54 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

The "other way" of getting code into a package (.m) file that I alluded to
in my previous posting in this thread is as follows - it allows us to use
all the layout
facilities of a notebook during development:

- Set out the code in a notebook in the normal fashion, using, if you wish,
several input cells, and maybe text cells, section cells ..., and different
colors and font styles.
- Make the input cells that will make up the package code into
initialization cells (select them and use Cell>Cell
Properties>Initialization Cell).
- select all the cells, input and otherwise, the text of which you wish to
put into the package file; then use Edit>Save Selection as> Package Format
to save them.

All the text that you selected will be saved to a  .m file, and the text
from each cell that is not an initialization input cell will be commented
out (that is placed between (* and *) )