How to plot the earth/world in 3D?

Hi,

I am trying to plot the world in 3D perspective with countries
properly situated and clipped if on the back side.  I need to
then lay other 3D plots on the 3D world plot.

I tried "WorldPlot" with different projection options but none seems
to show 3D.  (The closest is the LambertAzimuthal projection.)
I use Mathematic 3.0 on a PC.

Are there any other commands or packages or tricks?

Thank you all.

Xiangdong Liu