Mathematica 4.1 startup problem

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg32952] Mathematica 4.1 startup problem
  • From: esteschris at hotmail.com (Chris Estes)
  • Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2002 02:07:06 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hi All,

I have a strange problem with Mathematica 4.1.1.0 (student edition) on
Windows2000-- not a network edition.  I've had it installed on my
laptop with no problem (that I've noticed) for some time now.  The
other day, I was on a plane and wanted to do some work with it, and it
wouldn't start up at all.  When I started it, the splash screen came
up and then everything disappeared.  If I double clicked on a .nb
file, the same thing.

Back at the office, no problem.  At home - no problem.  As it turns
out, at home and office, I'm plugged into a LAN.  As long as I'm
plugged in, it starts up just fine...

Apparently, Mathematica is checking to see if I'm on a network, even
thought it's not using the network for anything (that I know of!).
Any thoughts?

Thanks!