RE: Mean

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg32983] RE: [mg32981] Mean
  • From: "Wolf, Hartmut" <Hartmut.Wolf at t-systems.com>
  • Date: Sat, 23 Feb 2002 02:37:59 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
> Sent:	Friday, February 22, 2002 7:49 AM
> Subject:	[mg32981] Mean
>
> << Statistics`DescriptiveStatistics`
>
> data = {4.3, 7.2, 8.4, 5.8, 9.2, 3.9}
> {4.3, 7.2, 8.4, 5.8, 9.2, 3.9}
>
> Mean[data]
> Mean[{4.3, 7.2, 8.4, 5.8, 9.2, 3.9}]
>
> Variance[data]
> 4.69467
>
> I took this code exactly as in the help browser. Tried this in my
> notebook. Why do I not get an answer for Mean? I get an answer for
> Variance, and I also see an answer for Mean in the help browser for
> the same data.

[Hartmut Wolf]

After loading the descriptive Statistics package, did you get this message?

In[3]:= <<Statistics`DescriptiveStatistics`
>From In[3]:=
Mean::shdw: Symbol Mean appears in multiple contexts \
{Statistics`DescriptiveStatistics`,Global`}; definitions in context \
Statistics`DescriptiveStatistics` may shadow or be shadowed by other \
definitions.

If yes, you presumably had tried Mean before loading. Proof that

In[6]:= ?Mean
        Global`Mean

So remove that spurious symbol

In[7]:= Remove[Mean]