Reading .csv files

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg32971] Reading .csv files
  • From: "Coleman, Mark" <mark.coleman at>
  • Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2002 01:48:55 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

I often Import .csv data from spreadsheets. I normally just delete any column or row headers,Import the data, then organize it into lists.

Now say I have time series data oriented 'down' a column, i.e., each column corresponds to all the obersvations for single variable, and the first entry of each column is the variable name. How would I create a Mathematica list for each varaible, where the list name (in Mathematica) is the variable name from each column, and the list contents are the remaining elements of the spreadsheet column?