Reading .csv files

Greetings,

I often Import .csv data from spreadsheets. I normally just delete any column or row headers,Import the data, then organize it into lists.

Now say I have time series data oriented 'down' a column, i.e., each column corresponds to all the obersvations for single variable, and the first entry of each column is the variable name. How would I create a Mathematica list for each varaible, where the list name (in Mathematica) is the variable name from each column, and the list contents are the remaining elements of the spreadsheet column?

Thanks

-Mark