Odd phenomenon but not serious
- To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
- Subject: [mg32298] Odd phenomenon but not serious
- From: Steve Gray <stephenbgray at home.com>
- Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2002 04:35:39 -0500 (EST)
- Organization: @Home Network Member
- Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com
I have an extremely long calculation which prints a line on the screen every second or so. Sometimes when I do alt-comma to interrupt it, it does not respond. But if I click in the window of a different program and then click in the Mathematica window, it seems to always respond immediately. This is with other programs in memory but not running. ??? A related question: When Mathematica is running on this CPU-bound job, there is little time left for other jobs, say Word or the Web Is this the fault of Windows' time allocater or of Mathematica being piggish about CPU sharing? Also, if I do alt-comma with or without then doing the Enter (whatever it is) Dialog, should I expect better time availability for the other programs? Any help with the latter paragraph is welcome. Thank you.