parameter restrictions

Hi

I am using Mathematica 4.0 and have a question about parameter restrictions.
How can I define the range of values of a parameter, e.g. that alpha must be
positive or that (alpha + beta) must be less than unity?

Although it may be a very simple question (and/or answer) I would be
delighted if I get an answer.

Thanks a lot

Jack

Mit MSN Fotos können Sie problemlos Ihre Fotos ausdrucken und anderen
Benutzern zur Verfügung stellen: http://photos.msn.de/support/worldwide.aspx