Re: parameter restrictions

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg32471] Re: parameter restrictions
  • From: atelesforos at hotmail.com (Orestis Vantzos)
  • Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2002 03:19:54 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Given that the Mathematica language does not use data types, there is
not a definite way to establish the domain of a "variable"(*).
I recommend using something like Simplify[expr, conditions] where expr
is the expression you wish to analyse and conditions is a conjunction
of inequalities.
For instance:
Simplify[Log[x]>0,x>1] returns True
Orestis
(*) I use quotes around the word "variables", since what you normally
perceive as variables are actualy 'symbols'. This explains the absence
of a 'domain' mechanism. Check the Big Book..