Re: Re: parameter restrictions

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg32464] Re: [mg32442] Re: [mg32428] parameter restrictions
  • From: BobHanlon at
  • Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2002 03:19:34 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

Since your original question did not include an example I did not understand
your intent.  I suggest that you use (Full)Simplify with assumptions to
evaluate inequalities.

Note that you do not want to restrict the parameters values since this would
preclude evaluation for non-numeric values of the parameters.   That is why
you obtained the unevaluated f^(2,0,0)[x,a,b]

0 > (a + b - 1)*(a + b)*
   x^(a + b - 2)

Unfortunately, this did not fully evaluate.  The problem is the power of x.

FullSimplify[x^y > 0, {x > 0, Element[{x,y}, Reals]}]

x^y > 0

However, the difficulty of the evaluation can be eliminated by assuming a
positive value for x, say 1.

Bob Hanlon