Re: Unloading packages

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg32544] Re: Unloading packages
  • From: "Allan Hayes" <hay at>
  • Date: Sat, 26 Jan 2002 04:08:05 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

Firstly: to reload a package use Get not Needs (needs is designed not to
load already loaded packages.

You may still find that you get messages about symbols being protected  -
and these mean that you cannot make new definitions.

Two ways out of this

At the end of the package between End[] and EndPackage[] you should find
some instructions like Protect[...]: comment these out thus
(when you have finished revising remove (* and *).

2.... to do with package style:

After BeginPackage[...] insert in a new line
(I also add  ClearAll["`*"])
These will unprotect all the symbols in the package context and will clear
all definions and attributes associated with them.

Incidentally  instead of using Protect[ < sequence of symbols>] we can use

There are cases where we need to refine the above, for example when dealing
with symbols from other contexts or when we do not want to protect some
symbols, but I find it very convenient.

Allan Hayes
Mathematica Training and Consulting
Leicester UK