Re: Absolute Value of Complex Numbers

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg35201] Re: [mg35196] Absolute Value of Complex Numbers
  • From: Andrzej Kozlowski <andrzej at>
  • Date: Tue, 2 Jul 2002 02:11:53 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

And how is Mathematica to know what k is? For example, it could be = I,
which will give the answer 2/E and so on. Of course you meant k to be
real but unfortunately Mathematica's mind reading technology is still in
the development stage and won't be available before version 9.1. In the
mean time you have to use:

ComplexExpand[Abs[2 Exp[k*I]]]

Simplify[Abs[2 Exp[k*I]],Element[k,Reals]]

which is really more than enough.

Andrzej Kozlowski
Toyama International University