Re: Help with Importing of FITS files

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg35382] Re: Help with Importing of FITS files
  • From: larsh at wolfram.com (Lars Hohmuth)
  • Date: Wed, 10 Jul 2002 02:20:03 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

gorskil3 at aol.com (Larry Gorski) wrote in message news:<ag6f0a$bov$1 at smc.vnet.net>...
> Hello.  I just purchased the version 4.2 upgrade.  I'm trying to
> import .fit files but the function Import["filename.fit","FITS"]
> returns a list and not a graphic.  Any ideas as to what I am not doing
> correctly are appreciated.
>
> Thanks
>
> Larry

The Import command returns a list containing both the header
information and the image data. To see the image, you need to strip
the header and plot the data portion of the file.

See http://www.wolfram.com/products/mathematica//newin42/import.html
for an example. The options for FITS import are documented in the
Further Examples section of the import documentation in the help
browser.

Regards,

Lars Hohmuth
Wolfram Research, Inc.