Re: Help with Importing of FITS files

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg35382] Re: Help with Importing of FITS files
  • From: larsh at (Lars Hohmuth)
  • Date: Wed, 10 Jul 2002 02:20:03 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

gorskil3 at (Larry Gorski) wrote in message news:<ag6f0a$bov$1 at>...
> Hello.  I just purchased the version 4.2 upgrade.  I'm trying to
> import .fit files but the function Import["","FITS"]
> returns a list and not a graphic.  Any ideas as to what I am not doing
> correctly are appreciated.
> Thanks
> Larry

The Import command returns a list containing both the header
information and the image data. To see the image, you need to strip
the header and plot the data portion of the file.

for an example. The options for FITS import are documented in the
Further Examples section of the import documentation in the help

Lars Hohmuth
Wolfram Research, Inc.