Re: Re: Factoring question

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg35470] Re: [mg35458] Re: Factoring question
  • From: Ken Levasseur <Kenneth_Levasseur at uml.edu>
  • Date: Sun, 14 Jul 2002 06:19:43 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Steve:

I assume that the problem was  to solve x^7 + x^5 + x^4 + -x^3 + x + 1=0.  If
so, one of the basic factoring theorems is that if a polynomial over the
integers  like this one has a rational root r/s, then r must divide the
constant term and s must divide the leading coefficient.   So in this problem,
+/-1 are the only possible rational roots and so the (x+1) factor would be
found this way.   I'm sure that Mathematica checks this almost immediately.
As for the remaining 6th degree factor, I'm not certain how Mathematica
proceeds, but if you plot it, it clearly has no linear factors.

Ken Levasseur