Expanding expressions with Dot, Times and Plus

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg35501] Expanding expressions with Dot, Times and Plus
  • From: "JL" <jl at>
  • Date: Tue, 16 Jul 2002 04:50:16 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

I am trying to expand a large expression that has terms that look as

where ex[i,j] are unevaluated expressions. I would like Mathematica to
simplify this and analogous expressions so that they read:

However, I cannot seem to find anything that will work. The problem is that
I need to keep track of the order of the expressions ex[i,j]. If Dot were
replaced by Times, there would be no problem whatsoever.

If anyone knows how to help me with this problem, I would greatly appreciate

Jeremy Levy

jlevy at