Reading excel files?

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg35542] Reading excel files?
  • From: Stefanos Dris <dris at>
  • Date: Thu, 18 Jul 2002 03:06:45 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

I would like to be able to read from and write to Excel spreadsheets
using Mathematica. In my search I found Mathematica Link which, among
other things, looks like it can do this. Is there any other way of
achieving this?

As it stands, I manually enter a table of data in an Excel spreadsheets,
I save it as a tab-delimited text file, and hence my Mathematica program
can read it. Since my program output is another text file, I need to
pick the right options when importing the data back into Excel,
otherwise the columns and rows may be messed up.

If I could read and right directly to the cells of an Excel spreadsheet,
it would make my life just a little bit easier.

Stefanos Dris