Memory leak? Self-created non-executable Help notebook?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg35608] Memory leak? Self-created non-executable Help notebook?
  • From: AES <siegman at stanford.edu>
  • Date: Mon, 22 Jul 2002 02:11:10 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

1)  Working with Mathematica 4.1 on a Mac iBook running OS 9.1 I've recently
been encountering repeated situations where, after working with any one
of a collection of several different small notebooks for a short time,
and perhaps causing some errors, I get a  dialog box that says

    "There was not enough memory to display a cell.  The cell has
    been closed.  When you have freed some memory you can open
    it again by choosing Cell Open the the Cell Properties menu".

Clicking OK just brings up the box again in an endless loop;  doing a
Force Quit usually leads to a crash.  The notebooks are only a dozen
cells or so long.  I've increased Mathematica's memory allocation; no help.

Is this some kind of "memory leak", or . . . ?

2)  Possibly related:  I have a "My Mathematica Notes" notebook -- a kind of
personalized Help file -- in which I collect misc notes, useful snippets
of Mathematica code in the form of Input cells, other examples I've seen on this
group or elsewhere.  It's about 140K in size.  I'm not sure but I think
the above problem may sometimes occur shortly after I open this Notes
notebook to copy a cell out of it.

I don't want to run or execute any cells in this notebook, ever.  Are
there some options or defaults I should set so that none of the Input
cells in this notebook will execute while it's open, yet I can copy and
paste them as executable Input cells in another notebook I'm working on?