RE: eliminate some characters inside a file

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg34726] RE: [mg34716] eliminate some characters inside a file
  • From: "DrBob" <majort at cox-internet.com>
  • Date: Mon, 3 Jun 2002 01:46:49 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

My solution seems unnecessarily complicated, but here goes...

I'll convert all *.txt files in an input directory into new files in an
output directory.

inputDirectory = "Moreno";
outputDirectory = "Moreno2";
Off[CreateDirectory::"ioerr"];
CreateDirectory[outputDirectory];
On[CreateDirectory::"ioerr"];

This reads one input file and writes the corresponding output file:

fixFile[input_String, output_String] :=
  Module[{x, in, out},
    Close /@ Streams[output];
    out = OpenWrite[output, FormatType -> OutputForm];
    Close /@ Streams[input];
    in = OpenRead[input];
    While[(x = Read[in, String]) =!= EndOfFile,
      Write[out, StringJoin[DeleteCases[Characters[x], "\""] /. "," -> "
"]]
      ];
    Close /@ {in, out}
    ]

Apply fixFile to all files in the input directory, placing identically
named files in the output directory:

fixFile[#,
      ToFileName[outputDirectory,
        StringDrop[#, StringLength[DirectoryName[#]]]]] & /@