Linux Font Problem

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg34878] Linux Font Problem
  • From: Georg Wenig <gewe at fitzroy.tep.e-technik.tu-muenchen.de>
  • Date: Tue, 11 Jun 2002 05:00:47 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Here, we have a workimg Mathematica installation on HP-UX. When trying
to use Mathematica remotely from a Linux machine ( SuSe 7.2 ), I get an
error message about missing fonts. I am aware of the fact that this
topic has been discussed before, here and elsewhere, but nevertheless
kindly ask for help.

I have copied the Mathematica font directories to my Linux machine as

    /usr/local/mathematica/SystemFiles/Fonts/Type1

and

    /usr/local/mathematica/SystemFiles/Fonts/X, respectively.

Then I do

    xset fp+ /usr/local/mathematica/SystemFiles/Fonts/Type1/
    xset fp+ /usr/local/mathematica/SystemFiles/Fonts/X/
    xset fp rehash.

After this procedure xlsfonts | grep math shows the 340 Mathematica
fonts and xset q demonstrates that the Font Path contains the above
directories. Additionally, I have adjusted the maximum number of fonts
in ~/
.Mathematica/4.1/FrontEnd/Caches/SystemFiles/TextResources/X/Specific.tr.
So everything seems to be OK to me.
Then I log on to the UNIX machine via ssh <UNIX_machine> and redirect
the display via setenv DISPLAY <LINUX_machine>:0.0. Finally, I try to
start Mathematica, just to get the message  "The Mathematica fonts are
not properly installed in your system".

What's wrong in here? Any help will be gratefully acknowledged.

G. Wenig