Re: which Linux does Mathematica run on?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg34869] Re: which Linux does Mathematica run on?
  • From: Ronald Bruck <bruck at math.usc.edu>
  • Date: Tue, 11 Jun 2002 05:00:35 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

In article <adv6qi$la$1 at smc.vnet.net>, Timothy C. Klein
<teece at silver_NO-UCE_klein.net> wrote:

> On Sat, 08 Jun 2002 03:49:37 -0600, Pavel Pokorny wrote:
>

> >   Dear Mathematica friends
> >
> >    http://www.wolfram.com/products/mathematica/platforms/
> > mentions
> >     Linux 2.0 or later (ELF only)
> > and
> >    PowerPC Linux.
> >
> > Does it mean Mathematica 4.1 does NOT run on SuSE Linux?
> >
> > Or which versions of Linux does Mathematica 4.1 run on?
>
> That means it will work on any Linux distribution that is recent.  ELF is
> the type of executable encoding used, and ELF has been around for a
> while.  RedHat 5.0 was ELF based, if I remember right, and that is pretty
> old.  So any version of SUSE that is not 5 years old will work fine.  The
> 2.0 part is for the Linux kernel, and again SUSE will for certain have at
> *least* that new a kernel.
>
> In short, you will be fine.  WRI has done it the right way, as
> Mathematica is pretty nuetral about the distro.
>
> I am running it on Debian unstable, zero problems.

Alas, this isn't quite right.  You must also have the libc5 libs
installed--and SuSE 8.0 doesn't do that, by default.  You have to
manually install the "shlibs5" from the SuSE CD's (or DVD).  So your
Linux mustn't be too RECENT, either.

And not even that fixes everybody's installation.  There are still
reports of broken installations (apart from the well-known one of not
enough fonts available on the system--that's documented by Wolfram,
however).

But I have no trouble running it in SuSE 8.

--Ron Bruck