RE: 3d table or list to file

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg34916] RE: [mg34879] 3d table or list to file
  • From: "Annetts, Dave (E&M, North Ryde)" <David.Annetts at csiro.au>
  • Date: Wed, 12 Jun 2002 02:16:23 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hi Shawn,

> Is it possible to save 3D lists to file to recall them later.
>  Export/Import
> does not seem to work for lists with dimensions greater than 2

It is possible -- just write them.  For example, the following sequence
leaves tst and newt equal.
	tst = Table[{i, j, k}, {i, 5}, {j, 5, 10}, {k, 25, 30}];
	Dimensions[tst]
	tst >> "multi.txt"

	newt = Read["multi.txt"];
	Close["multi.txt"]

The catch with this, is that your file is in 80-column wrapped input form
and so might not be particularly useful with other programs (eg. Excel).
Mostly, I find it more useful to write the file in simple columnar format
via a Do[]; loop.

Regards,

Dave.
  Dr. David Annetts             EM Modelling Analyst
  Tel: (+612) 9490 5416         CSIRO DEM, North Ryde
  Fax: (+612) 9490 5467         David.Annetts at csiro.au
                 Include "usual_disclaimers"