Odd Formatting Problem

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg35033] Odd Formatting Problem
  • From: aes <siegman at stanford.edu>
  • Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2002 02:13:44 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

I have several expressions inside a Module that I've typed in the
general form

labelTwoText = "OUTPUT:\n"
    <> "\nK2 = " <> ToString[K2]
    <> "\nG2 = " <> ToString[G2 // N]
    <> "\ntheta2 = " <> ToString[theta2/degrees // N]
    <> "\nthetaC = " <> ToString[thetaC/degrees // N]
    <> "\nk2 = " <> ToString[k2 // N];

where I've inserted the CRs at the end of each line deliberately
for readability.

(The expression is intended to collect text to be inserted into
graphics using Text[] and Show[].  The real-life examples are
three or four times as long.)

Sometimes these work fine; sometimes for unknown reasons they get
screwed up -- especially if I cut and paste the expression within
the Module to move it or duplicate it.  When this happens:

1) I get the error message

      Syntax::sntxb: Expression cannot begin with "<>
      K2 = <>ToString[K2//N]".

2)  Some of the lines become indented by slightly different
amounts before the "<>"'s.

3)  The program is now totally unstoppable:  Interrupt Evaluation
or Abort Evaluation no longer stop the program, which will
apparently Run forever.  Only way out is to Quit the front end,
then Quit the kernal, and restart the app.

3)  Once you've reopened the notebook, laboriously doing a delete
and then CR at the beginning of each line is the only way to
restore functionality,

Obviously I'll stop typing them this way and let Mathematica make the line
breaks -- but this does seem like some kind of bug?

(Mathematica 4.1.0.0 on a Mac G3 PB running OS 8.6)