Re: Re: Table as Graphics Object?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg35080] Re: [mg35068] Re: [mg35027] Table as Graphics Object?
  • From: Dale Horton <daleh at wolfram.com>
  • Date: Mon, 24 Jun 2002 03:21:09 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

There are much easier ways to create a bitmap from a Cell. You don't need
to use menu commands. All you need are Import and Export.

ls = Table[Random[Integer, {1, 6}], {5}, {5}];

myGraphic = ListPlot3D[ls, DisplayFunction -> Identity];

Create a Cell expression for the Table (like you'd see with Format>Show
Expression), then round trip it through a bitmap format. For example, "GIF".

myTable=ImportString[
     ExportString[Cell[BoxData@ToBoxes@TableForm@ls, "Output"], "GIF"],"GIF"]

Show[GraphicsArray[{myGraphic,myTable}]]

Since myTable is a Raster graphic, it does not scale well. However, if you
use a scalable format (such as EPS) then the text will not become
distorted. Resizing will change the space in the table, but not the size of
the elements. (Sorry, that's the way PostScript works.) To change the size
of the elements, use a StyleBox to set the FontSize.

myTable =
   ImportString[
     ExportString[
       Cell[BoxData@StyleBox[ToBoxes@TableForm@ls, FontSize -> 16], "Output"],