Finding intersections of contours in 3D

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg34078] Finding intersections of contours in 3D
  • From: "Bram Platel" <b.platel at stud.tue.nl>
  • Date: Wed, 1 May 2002 08:01:09 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

I want to find intersections of the surfaces of two contour plots in 3D.

For example I have contours of a 3D data set where the derivative to X is 0,
and I have contours of a 3D data set where the derivative to Y is zero.

Then I would like to find the intersections of these contours (so I find
curves where dX=dY=0).

I have read an article by Steven Wilkinson about finding intersections of
surfaces, but he uses a sort of numerical solver (to use his method the
equations of the surfaces must be known), so I cannot use it for 3D contours
(where the equations of the surfaces are not known).

The only way to do it I can think of is using Mathematica's output of
ListContourPlot3D (which are coordinates of Polygons) and then find (with a
clever algorithm) the intersections of these little polygons.

Does someone have experience with this, or an idea on how to implement this?