Listing

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg34114] Listing
  • From: "Mr Burgers" <ab106 at pixie.co.za>
  • Date: Sat, 4 May 2002 04:28:38 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

I am working on a project investigating the Pell equation x^2-d*y^2=1, where
I calculate the values of d keeping y constant and determining the periodic
behaviour of x and d. I have found using Mathematica most useful to find the
integer values of x and d. However, when I use Table[{(x^2-1)/y^2},{x,n,m}],
it lists all the rational fractions over the complete range of n to m which
I choose, where I am interested only in getting the Integer values of x and
d while y is kept constant for one set of calculations.
I wonder if it is possible for someone to advise me on how I must change my
Table listing to only give the Integer values of x and d. I have tried
several changes but none worked.
Alfonso Burgers