RE: new user question about creating a new cell

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg34664] RE: [mg34640] new user question about creating a new cell
  • From: "David Park" <djmp at earthlink.net>
  • Date: Fri, 31 May 2002 04:26:53 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

When you have a horizontal I and click, you should obtain a horizontal line
that indicates the selection point in the notebook. When you start typing
you obtain an Input cell because that is the default new cell type.

However, you can obtain other types of cells by telling Mathematica which
cell type you want. You can do this in several ways.

1) Use the menu item Format\Style and select the cell type, for example
Text. Then start typing and you will have a Text cell. (If you, however,
click in the notebook again before you start typing, you will be back to an
Input cell.)

2) You will see in the Style menu that many of the cell types have a Alt key
definition. For example, Text uses Alt-7. So you can click to produce the
horizontal line, type Alt-7, and then start typing to obtain a Text cell.

3) You can put a ToolBar at the top of your notebook. Use the menu item
Format\Show ToolBar. The ToolBar has a drop down menu of cell types. So,
after you click to obtain the horizontal line, select the cell type from the
drop down menu and then start typing.

David Park
djmp at earthlink.net
http://home.earthlink.net/~djmp/