Re: Re: OO in Mathematica

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg37611] Re: [mg37561] Re: OO in Mathematica
  • From: "Hermann Schmitt" <schmitther at netcologne.de>
  • Date: Wed, 6 Nov 2002 06:54:44 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hello,
you must differentiate between instructions and the structuring of programs.
If you write a small program the structure of the program is no issue. But I
think, that Mathematica is one of the best programming languages, you can
also program larger programs/applications with Mathematica. Then the
structuring of the program/the applications is an issue. You ignore the
problems of structuring.
Additionally, your usage of the notion "functional programming" is wrong. If
you read in the literature, you will see, that functional programming is
programming only with functions and expressions and without variables and
without the assignement of values to variables. I think, you  can program in
this way in Mathematica, but I do not think, that you mean this.
Hermann