Re: OO in Mathematica

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg37635] Re: OO in Mathematica
  • From: Jens-Peer Kuska <kuska at informatik.uni-leipzig.de>
  • Date: Thu, 7 Nov 2002 06:41:20 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hi,

you are right, I have never written a Mathematica "program"
and I don't know what is can be. Since there is no "program"
it can't have any structure. You can have functions but I have
never written a function with more than ca 30 statements.
There is no reason to "structure" a Mathematica function that
has typical 5--10 statements.

It seems that larger packages work perfectly right
without any object oriented extension -- how can this
happen ?

And yes I mean functional programming when I say
"functional programming". Every
real functional/logic programming language
has an assigment. The assigment is not needed
but it save some computation time.  Mathematica
has also functions like While[] only for
efficiency.

Regards
  Jens