Re: Fourier Transforms for Idiots?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg37626] Re: [mg37588] Fourier Transforms for Idiots?
  • From: "Y.A.Tesiram" <yas at pcomm.hfi.unimelb.edu.au>
  • Date: Wed, 6 Nov 2002 06:58:52 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hi Ron,
Yes you can virtually plug any values in and something will be returned.
But a little background will help.

Below is an example of two frequencies in phase. Copy the text below into
a notebook and evaluate. You need the MultipleListPlot package for this
example.
Generally Fourier transforms are used to sample multiple frequencies from
one data set and so you end up with a spectrum of frequencies. As in the
ListPlot part below I have plotted the positive part only which clearly
shows that there are two frequencies present. Also have a look at Re and
Im instead of Abs. You will need to change the PlotRange. Try
PlotRange->All.

<< Graphics`MultipleListPlot`

f1 = Table[Sin[x], {x, -5*N[Pi], 5*N[Pi], 0.05*Pi}];
f2 = Table[Sin[0.2*x], {x, -5*N[Pi], 5*N[Pi], 0.05*Pi}];
f3 = f1 + f2;

MultipleListPlot[{f1, f2, f3}, PlotJoined -> True,
    SymbolShape -> {None, None, PlotSymbol[Box]}]

ListPlot[Abs[Fourier[f1]],
     PlotJoined -> True, PlotRange -> {{0, 20}, {0, 10}}]
ListPlot[Abs[Fourier[f2]], PlotJoined ->
     True, PlotRange -> {{0, 20}, {0, 10}}]
ListPlot[Abs[Fourier[f3]], PlotJoined -> True, PlotRange -> {{0, 20}, {0,
10}}
    ]

Yas