Re: Re: indeterminate expression

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg37654] Re: [mg37606] Re: indeterminate expression
  • From: DWCantrell at aol.com
  • Date: Thu, 7 Nov 2002 06:43:26 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

andrzej at platon.c.u-tokyo.ac.jp writes:

>  I think it may not be such a good idea for a programming language to
>  always return 1 for 0^0.

Allow me to clarify my position. Since this is a Mathematica newsgroup,
I had assumed that, when I wrote 0, it was understood that I was not
talking about 0.0 also. I suggest that 0^0 should be 1, just as previously.
Furthermore, to clarify things, I also suggest that 0.0^0 should be 1 but
that 0^0.0 and 0.0^0.0 should be Indeterminate.

Notes:
(1) One of the computer algebra systems to which I had alluded earlier
makes this very type of distinction, based upon whether the exponent
is 0 or 0.0 .
(2) Suggesting that the two latter expressions should be Indeterminate
clearly goes against Kahan's position. He would have them be 1.0
instead.

Andrzej: Do you perhaps find my position, now that it has been made
clearer, to be acceptable?

Regards,
  David Cantrell